International Association for Health Coaches Member!

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Pumped-up Pumpkin-Oat & Black Bean Burger


It's that time of year again when there is a plethora of pumpkins.  We buy them and scatter them through the house for decorations, we may even carve them out and use them to serve up a spectacular dish.  But rarely do we ever eat the darn things!  It's time for us to come out of our shells and enjoy this gorgeous gourd in some ways as unique as this precious fruit.  I tackled my pumpkin perplexities and whipped together a pretty darn tasty pumpkin oat black bean burger.  OK, I know what you're saying..."Eeeewww, yucky!"  That's what I thought at first, but then I had to take off my little girl loafers and strap on my mature mama stilettos (insert laugh here).  You know what I mean!  I had to stop thinking and acting like a picky, finicky kid and excite my palette with something new, something adventurous - that wouldn't break the bank if I didn't  like it. 

I have often seen and heard of interesting pumpkin recipes, but never really tried them.  I cook and bake often, so I just let my mind and tastebuds wander and came up with this crazy, culinary concoction.  I challenge you to not question the combination.  It's actually pretty intuitive and turned out much better than expected. I really could see this on the menu at any restaurant dedicated to serving unique, tasty and healthy alternatives to its clientele.  Pumpkin is loaded with vitamin A, an important antioxidant which gives your skin that youthful glow and helps protect your immune system for colds.  It's also has a lot of fiber and essential fatty acids that aid in reducing blood sugar and cholesterol levels and blood pressure.  The rolled oats and black beans also provide many of the same benefits, including helping you feel fuller longer (fiber) and a good source of protein (black beans) 

Try it out and let me know what you think!   I am certain if you like it, this recipe could be one of the latest tools in your arsenal to becoming healthy and wealthy.


Pumpkin Oat Black Bean Burger


  • 1 can of black beans (rinse them thoroughly)
  • 1 can of pumpkin puree - NOT PUMPKIN PIE FILLING!!!
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (use more if consistency seems too soupy)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder (or more to taste)
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder (or more to taste)
  • 1/2 cup of egg substitute - egg whites can also be used
  • 1/2 tsp sage
  • 1/2 tsp of allspice (optional)
  • 1 tsp of any herb seasoning or italian seasoning
  • Salt and pepper to taste - Try not use a table salt.  I prefer Himalayan or sea salt - it's better for you and a little goes a long way.
  • 2 slices rye or marble rye bread or bun, optional. (I prefer bread-less for this burger cause of the oatmeal...not necessary.  It's fabulous on it's own! )
 
Preheat oven to 350F
 
Mix all the ingredients until well blended and your consistency is sticky enough to form patties.
 
Make your patties are large or as small as you want them.  Place them a baking sheet  coated with the non-stick spray of your choice (mine is coconut oil). 
 
Bake 20 minutes - flipping half-way through baking.
 
Remove from oven and enjoy!  Top with your favorite burger condiments or enjoy plain.

 *If patties seem dry, you can baste them with warm veggie broth or make your own with the seasonings of your choice and hot water.
 
Nutritional Value:

Approx. 146 calories. Serving size is 1. Not including bread.
calories from fat 21, fat 2.4g, saturated fat 0.3g, polyunsaturated fat 0.6g, monounsaturated fat 0.6g, carbs 27g, fiber 6.2g, sugars 2g, protein 6.9g, 118% vitamin a, 13% vitamin c, 5% calcium, 15% iron

No comments:

Post a Comment