International Association for Health Coaches Member!

Friday, March 15, 2013

I'm Feelin' Green...but that's okay! It's All Good!


Green, leafy vegetables and fruits - Should be 60% of your daily diet
I just can't get enough green things these days. Yeah, money ranks right up there, but I'm talking about food! I actually crave every green, leafy veggie and fruit you can think of. From collard to kale, from apples to kiwi, every day I make sure to get these bad boys in my diet. In fact, I aim for making fruits and veggies 60% of my daily diet. And if I may offer a suggestion (cuz' that's what I do - LOL!), you should start feeling green too!

Green is not just for St. Patrick's Day, although I do enjoy the Chicago River when it's fashionably dyed a darker green that it already is this time of year (ha!). We should incorporate the color in our daily diet. Plant-based foods are essential for our health. And the most potent ones are...you guessed it, GREEN. They packed with a lot of flavor and are a nutrient powerhouse! The have tons of vitamins and minerals and even protein. They help keep you feeling alive, fresh and clean (literally). They're great for clearing up respiratory problems, digestive issues and boosting energy. My two favorite glorious green foods are Kale and Kiwi - not together necessarily, but as I'm typing this, the pair may combine efforts for a scrumptious salad.

Why Kale? Kale is so versatile. You can enjoy it cooked or raw, lightly stir-fried, baked, as a condiment on a sandwich or the centerpiece of a really, super-duper smoothie. This "new beef" of greens is low in calories (1 cup = 36 calories), high in fiber, has more calcium than milk, an excellent source of antioxidants and a great source of vitamins A and C.

And that little mean-green kiwi isn't short-stopping either! The kiwi packs more potassium than a banana. It's also a superb go-to item when your energy needs a boost. Just 2 kiwi will only cost you 100 calories so it's the perfect afternoon snack, salad topping or smoothie ingredient.

If you'd like to learn more about why it's so important to really feel green in your diet or if you energy level needs a boost, please contact me today to schedule your free initial consultation. You can log onto www.ritechoicenutrition.com for more information


I hope you enjoyed these healthy and wealthy nuggets. Tune in tomorrow for some great Kale and Kiwi recipes!

Have a great Friday!



No comments:

Post a Comment