International Association for Health Coaches Member!

Monday, June 24, 2013

Patience is the best medicine.

Patience is a virtue.  Patience is love.  Patience is kind.  Personally, patience keeps my blood pressure in check.  Lately, I keep finding myself in situtations where I am forced, compelled or requested to wait.  Now, I usually don't mind, but more and more often my patience continues to be tested. I am really not sure why, but I have learned a few techniques to distract myself from what can be very annoying, especially when you're on a schedule or just want to complete your task or tasks at hand.

For those of us who pray - this is my first stop. I ask God to help me slow down, take a few deep breaths and reflect on all of His goodness.  The first scripture that pops into my mind is I Corinthians 13: 4-7, which reads: "4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. (NIV)

I then begin the 4-7-8 breathing technique taught in meditation exercises.  Inhale through the nose for 4 counts, hold your breath for 7 and exhale out the mouth for 8.  You don't have to over exaggerate the breath.  Just do it calmly as many times as you feel you need or at least 4 times every 10-15 minutes you feel stressed or have to endure teeth-grinding, hand-wrenching, nerve wracking detainment for no REAL APPARENT REASON!!!

And then of course you can find things to distract your attention.  Go outside for a walk, play with your pet, read a magazine or book, play a silly online game, clean something or my favorite distraction - writing.  Yeah, kind of like now.  I had been thinking about sitting down writing my weekly blog post, but have been busy.  Well, now that I'm waiting around, instead of becoming frustrated beyond measure, screaming or getting a major attitude, I decided to share my experience with you.

Only you know when enough is enough and how to effectively handle each situation on a case by case basis.  These are just a couple of my personal tips to keep the peace in what feels like a war going on inside your head and probably throughout your body. 

Here's to your continued health and wealth!  Have a great rest of the day!


No comments:

Post a Comment