International Association for Health Coaches Member!

Thursday, August 4, 2011

All I Want Is A Little Respect... Just A little bit!!


The Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin sings it best, actor-comedian Eddie Murphy made me laugh about it, comedian Rodney Dangerfield couldn't get it and darn it, the world makes you forget sometimes to have it for yourself and others.  Here's my point:  You have to give respect to get respect - and if you want it , you've got to earn it.  It's a two-way street.




So, how do you get respect, earn it and most of all keep getting it?  Unfortunately, if you don't live under a rock, it's a process you must go through everyday.  First, you have to have respect for yourself.  When  you defne and mold what respect means to you in your life, it is easy to respect others in any situation.  Hopefully, you don't have to keep proving yourself  over and over again to people who cross your path on a regular basis in order to get respect in return, but hey, trust me - it can go down like that.   And in some cases, it likely will unfold for you in the same manner too.  I go through it daily.  It's annoying and nonsensical.  You just have to realize that some people are going to be downright ignorant, disrespectful, sexist, racist, and practice every "ism" in the book (sexism, racism, ageism, etc.).  Respect just isn't in their vocabulary - which means, it's not in their spirit - that is until they feel disrespected.

Can I be honest with you?  You want to really know what got me going on this topic today?  I won't go into all the nitty, gritty details - but trust me, you'll feel where I'm coming from, I promise.  It started with people at work.  We're all supposed to be a "team."  Which, in my opinion, means - you don't make decisions without consulting "the team."  Especially, when you know you are not the "team leader."  Now, here's what really sticks in my craw.  I am supposed to be "in charge," if you will, of an entire production.  So why is it some people on the team, feel it necessary to circumvent the correct channels, make snap decisions and then challenge you when you speak up?  Why?  I'll tell you why...NO RESPECT.  Not even a little bit.  Some people are so caught up in looking like they are important, in charge and just the greatest thing since sliced bread, instead of treading softly and knowing when to stay in their lane.  They want others to think they "got it going on," when they really are just messed up and power hungry for respect and notoriety - they don't deserve. They just haven't learned you can catch more bees with honey - and that silence is golden.  And at this rate, they probably never will.  Although, I hope they do before it's too late.

At this point, it has gone to the point of no return for me; I'm just saying!
  

But it is not too late for you.  Everyday, every hour, every minute, you get a chance to start over.  There will be days people push you to the limit, but you don't have to let that throw off your game.  Regroup and in some cases APOLOGIZE. Swallow your pride and simply just start over.  You'll feel good about yourself;;  this builds your self-confidence and self-respect.  Others will see your shine - and want to basque in your glow.  That's when you know you are earning the respect of others.  After a period of time, respect just comes with whatever territory you decide to charter.  It will emanate from your aura - and hopefully rub off onto others.  Yes, I know, "what the world needs now is love, sweet love" but sometimes, things work in reverse - and today I say let's start with some respect.  Truth be told:  It's easy to love someone - it's sometimes an insurmountable task to like them.  Let's try harder people -- come on now (singing) "JUST A LITTLE BIT, JUST A LITTLE BIT.  R-E-S-P-E-C-T - find out what it means to me - R-E-S-P-E-C-T , take care, TCB! 





Tired of being disrespected by the people with whom you work?  Do something about it!  Click the following link for information respected and well-received by thousands of people around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment