International Association for Health Coaches Member!

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Judge Not, Lest Ye Be Judged

Who hasn't heard the Bible verse, "judge not lest ye be judge?"  There's probably no one who hasn't.  Heck, I often hear non-believers spewing this and other Bible verses on a regular basis for their own benefit.  For those who don't know, this scripture comes from the book of Matthew, Chapter 7, verse 1.  While this is a crucial aspect of life, the 5 verses that follow Matthew 7:1 are just as necessary.

Taken from The New Living Translation:

Matthew, Chapter 7
 “Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. 2 For you will be treated as you treat others.  The standard you use in judging is the standard by which you will be judged.
3 “And why worry about a speck in your friend’s eye when you have a log in your own? 4 How can you think of saying to your friend, ‘Let me help you get rid of that speck in your eye,’ when you can’t see past the log in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend’s eye.
6 “Don’t waste what is holy on people who are unholy.  Don’t throw your pearls to pigs! They will trample the pearls, then turn and attack you.
As you can see, I have not lost my sense of humor through this.


Now let's get to the point  - the reason I decided to blog about this today.  Someone - who shall remain nameless - sent me a text message last night.  It was a scripture; Hebrews 13: 5-6.  I'll let you look it up yourself.  Well, I kind of had an idea of what it was about because I've read Hebrews many times.  But to be sure, I looked it up online.  Let's just say - the text was way out of line.  I am still not sure why this person sent it to me.  First of all, I have only talked to and seen this person 3 times in the last two years.  The last time was about 2 months ago - at my house.  They even brought their 3 kids.  Everyone had a good time, laughing, talking and eating and exchanging ideas. 



Before the night was through, I even presented them a business opportunity.  Everyone seemed receptive to the idea and wanted to know more.  After all was said and done - ther kids were even excited and wanted to get their family started in the business.  They kept encouraging their mother, who said she would think about it.  She also wanted to give some of my product samples to family and co-workers to get their thoughts.  Fast-forward to today - I still have not heard anything from her about her family or co-workers. 

I followed up with her once in the last 60 days to see if she had any questions - or wanted to place an order.  You see, I'm not pushy.  If you don't see the opportunity - I don't see it for you either.  Nor do I hold a grudge - because being in business for yourself is not for everybody.  Her response was - no, I don't have any questions - but she proceeded to ask me if I would support her by making a purchase of a product that she markets.  Ordinarily, I wouldn't mind at all.  This time, it was different.  I have known this person for at least 10 years.  I have supported everything they've done - even when I knew I really didn't need or want the service she was marketing.  Only because there was no real financial (business-related) benefit.  She has not supported me one time.  She has not made a purchase of any of my health and wellness products - nor has she referred one customer to me.  And I have continued to support her time after time.  Now it is time for me to take my own advice from one of my earlier blogs -- ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! 

I have had entire night to think about this and discuss it with my husband.  I am going to ask this person why they sent me a scripture that truly calls out a person - and do it without any previous communication, cause or explanation.  While I am not offended - it is disheartening to know that someone I have loved and respected and supported after meeting them on the street so many years ago - would make an off-the-mark assumption about me - without any questions or follow-up. 

Just to wrap things up - here - whether it's business or personal - follow the rules of the good book.  Don't judge at all - even when you think you know the whole story.  You absolutely cannot know everything about everybody.  Most importantly, you could be misinterpreting the situation.  It's not a healthy way to live - and can only lead you to a wealth of trouble.

Keep your mind focused on positive things - encourage one another - and if there's something you don't understand - ASK!

Click the following link to help yourself and other change negatives into positives.

No comments:

Post a Comment