International Association for Health Coaches Member!

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Sticky Situation: Is Gum Really Healthy?


Since I was a kid, chewing gum has been part of the daily norm.  I chewed gum when I was bored.  I chewed it when I couldn't find or get the candy I wanted.  Mom my gave it to me to chew to shut me up.  I chewed it to have bubble-blowing contests.  And I chomped and chewed on it in class  -- because I knew I wasn't supposed to.  Yes, an unruly and wild child, huh? LOL!  

Nowadays, for me, gum has jumped from the confectionery to the well being category. For years, we've heard a certain brand was "recommended by 4 out of 5 dentists" for cavity prevention.  A number of health agencies including the American Dental Association also agree that gum is good for you.   Chewing gum has also been touted as a great way to clean your teeth, reduce plaque, strengthen tooth enamel and reduce gingivitis and gum bleeding.


Surprising health benefits of chewing gum

Upon further research, I also stumbled across a few other surprising health benefits of chewing gum.  I had no idea of the following finds - you probably didn't either.  Seriously, none of this probably ever crossed your mind.  Did you know that gum...


 Boosts Mental Power

Chewing gum boosts brain activity in several ways. For instance, psychologists have discovered that chewing gum can help you enhance your memory. An experiment was conducted where two groups of people took the same examination. One group was given gum to chew while the other was not. Results showed that the gum-chewing group got higher test scores. This boost in memory might be linked to the chewing motion of the jaw. When you chew gum, your hippocampus becomes stimulated. The hippocampus is the part of the brain which plays a major role in memory. Aside from boosting your memory, chewing gum also encourages more blood flow to the brain. When you chew gum, your heart rate increases and more oxygen is delivered to your brain area.

 Reduces Stress and Tension

Chewing gum can help you fight stress and anxiety. Research has shown that students who chew gum during exams tend to be more alert and focused. This is because gum helps you cope with the stress that is often associated with tests. Stress is not the only negative emotion that chewing gum can help you through. Whenever you feel irritated or frustrated, you might find that chewing gum can help you relax.

 Contributes to Weight Loss

If you’re currently trying to lose weight, chewing gum can also prove to be beneficial for you. The next time you crave a snack or a second helping of dessert, pop a stick of gum into your mouth instead. Since gum contains very few calories per serving, it makes an ideal snack that will not ruin your diet. The act of chewing and the flavor of the gum will help you fight your cravings for other snacks that are high in calories and fats.

Improves Digestion

You might not be aware of it but chewing gum can also improve your digestion, as long as you chew your gum after meals. Notice how you frequently swallow while chewing your gum, because of excess saliva production? This helps keep digestive acids down in your stomach.


Here's where the situation gets sticky for me

While I still like to chew gum, I've only chewed it 2 times in the last three-and-a-half months.  Why?  Because I've been trying to lose weight.  And even though some people say it helps you lose weight, here's what I have learned and experienced.  When you chew gum, you salivate. When you salivate, a signal gets sent from your brain to your stomach that food is on its way, and you begin to produce gastrointestinal juices...then, the food never comes, leaving you feeling hungry - because you told your brain that food was on the way, yet it wasn't.   That's when hazard signs and lights start flashing in my mind -- telling me -- to get rid of the gum - drink some water or eat a piece of fruit - otherwise you are heading for a feeding frenzy. 


Chewing gum can also lead to stomach ulcers, because you are swallowing saliva with no food in it, and the stomach acids can begin to eat away at the lining of the stomach.


In no way or fashion am I anti-gum.  I still love it.  I have my favorites -- mostly all all calorie-free and sugar-free.  I'm just suggesting if you really need to chew a piece, do it after you've eaten.  After about 10 to 15 minutes - get rid of it.. or else, you'll set yourself up for a return of the hunger monster.  This is especially true if you're trying to lose weight or are conscious about what and how you eat.





  
Sources:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-0124-gum-kraft-20100122,0,1826830.story
http://www.betteroralhealth.info/orbit_us/general-public-area/inside-the-mouth/saliva/index.htm

 

No comments:

Post a Comment